Subscribers! Be sure to go to the blog to read the description easier & check out links for this episode!
Last month, the beginning of a well-loved OVA series turned 30 years old: Yasuhiro Imagawa’s love letter to mangaka Mitsuteru Yokoyama’s career, Giant Robo: The Animation (aka Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still)! And to celebrate this momentous occasion, Casey (aka MinovskyArticle) has returned to talk about all things Robo with me! For the first part of the podcast, we discuss in a spoiler-free way what exactly the series is, it’s history, why it’s special, and why you should check it out! After that, we go all out in the spoiler-zone to gush about our favorite characters, scenes, and answer all your listener questions! (Spoiler talk starts at around the 1:34:17 mark.) So sit back, relax, and celebrate one of our favorite anime series with us in this GIANT-sized, nearly 3-hour long episode!
Stream the episode above or [Direct Download]
Subscribe on apple podcasts | Stitcher | Google Podcasts | Spotify
- Buy Giant Robo on bluray at Rightstuf or Amazon!
- Read about a Yasuhiro Imagawa lecture in the US from 2002!
- Watch the Imagawa-directed Tetsujin 28 remake at Retrocrush
- Check out this Giant Robo cosplay group page, “Experts of Cosplay”, still up and running on AngelFire! Some pictures are back from the 90s!
- If you want to learn more about The Water Margin, one of the stories Yokoyama used as the basis of some of his manga, check out the Chinese Folklore Podcast!
- Follow Casey on Twitter!
My theme song music was done by Kerobit! You can find more about them on their Twitter!
Support the work I do on this podcast by leaving me a tip on Ko-fi! Want to have your name read in the special thanks segment on the next episode? All you need to do is buy me 2 or more “coffees” on Ko-fi!
As always, feel free to leave me your thoughts on this episode or ideas for future episodes here—or email me directly at AnimeNostalgiaPodcast@gmail.com.
Thanks for listening!