It only happens once in a blue moon, folks....we finally got a big Hollywood movie that does manga (and anime) justice?! I break from the podcast’s normal format to team back up with my pal and Battle Angel Alita superfan Rachel (aka @SporadicErratic on Twitter) to discuss this milestone for Alita fans everywhere! Listen as we first talk about what we HOPED the movie would include beforehand, and then our joy and excitement (and some minor nit-picking) afterwards in this extra special, extra long Alita Extravaganza! Also in this episode: we briefly discuss how translating manga has changed dramatically since the 90s, Rachel coins the phrase “crocapocalypse”, and we rant about pudding. Now go support this film in theaters while you have the chance!
Stream the episode above or [Direct Download]
Subscribe on itunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Spotify
- Listen to Rachel & I talk all about the original Battle Angel Alita manga (and anime) here!
- Buy the original manga by Yukito Kishiro at Rightstuf, Amazon, or Comixology!
- Fox’s promo video with James Cameron, Yukito Kishiro, Robert Rodriguez, and Rosa Salazar
- Alita creator Yukito Kishiro talks about his series being adapted
- Kishiro also calls Alita: Battle Angel “The greatest movie in the world!”
- The Cast & Crew talk about creating this “manga epic”.
- Yukito Kishiro's special artwork of "movie" Alita!
- The music video for Dua Lipa’s theme to Alita: Battle Angel, “Swan Song”
- Bonus: virtual Youtuber Kizuna Ai meets the cast of Alita: Battle Angel in Japan!
As always, feel free to leave me your thoughts on this episode or ideas for future episodes here—or email me directly at AnimeNostalgiaPodcast@gmail.com.
Thanks for listening!